SPJ is searching for judges in our region for the Mark of Excellence awards, which recognize outstanding student journalists. Please consider volunteering to judge a category or two! Here’s the full information:
I hope this note finds you well. I’m Breann Schossow, and I’m the awards coordinator for Regions 6 and 12 for the Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence awards. The awards honor the best in student journalism annually and include categories for print, radio, television, and online collegiate journalism. I’m seeking volunteers to judge entries.
Judging involves a short time commitment in February, but is an easy process — it’s done completely online. As a judge, you’ll be assigned a category or categories and will judge entries based on overall excellence. Criteria include:
– accuracy and completeness
– enterprise and ingenuity
– adherence to high journalistic standards
– significance and effectiveness
– extenuating circumstances
– clarity, insight, and respect for the audience
– creative use of the medium’s unique capabilities
– adherence to SPJ’s code of ethics
Judging begins on February 1, and ends on February 28. To learn more about the awards, visit SPJ’s awards website, and email me with any questions. If you’re interested in judging, please contact me.