NEW for 2019
Attention professional and student journalists in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas:
The 2019 Diamond Journalism Awards, sponsored by the Arkansas Pro Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, has changed its entry deadline, judging period and area of eligibility.
The Diamond Journalism Awards is open to any professional or student journalist, including freelancers, working in Arkansas and bordering states (Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and Tennessee).
Eligible work must have been published or broadcast between Jan. 1, 2018, and Dec. 31, 2018.*
Entries will be accepted online at https://betternewspapercontest.com/ beginning Feb. 6, 2019.
The entry deadline has been extended to March 27, 2019.
*Note: First-place winners of the 2018 contest, which included material produced between Jan. 1 and June 30, 2018, are not eligible to enter.
NOTE: BetterBNC is optimized for the Google Chrome browser and Firefox for PC and Mac/Apple. For the best contest experience, use a recent version.
All entrants should log in as “open call contestant.” A contest administrator will confirm your eligibility.
- All professional and student journalists, including freelancers, working in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas can submit entries or have entries submitted on their behalf by news organizations that published or broadcast their work.
- You don’t have to be a member of the Society of Professional Journalists to enter.
- Entries may be submitted in more than one category, but a separate entry fee is required for each category.
- Any significant challenges or corrections to an entry must be provided with the entry. If not noted, an entry will be disqualified.
- A cover letter is generally not required, but if included, should be no more than one page.
- Comments and supportive material are required only in conjunction with nominations for the Robert McCord FOI Award, Community Service Award, Outstanding New Journalist Award and Diamond Journalist of the Year Award.
- Submit PDFs, JPGs or provide an active URL for video/audio that contest administrators and judges can access to view your entries.
- Please ensure URLs remain valid through May 1, 2019, to accommodate judging.
- SPJ members: $10 per entry. To claim the member fee, you must supply your personal SPJ member number. A team entry may claim the fee if at least one team member is an SPJ member; that person’s name and SPJ member number must be listed.
- To join SPJ, go to spj.org and fill out a membership form. Pro membership is $75 a year; student membership is $37.50. Monthly payment plan available.
- Nonmembers: $20 per entry.
- Student SPJ members: $5 per entry. Provide your member number.
- Student nonmembers: $10 per entry.
- No fees will be refunded.
- Entries will be judged by professional journalists outside the contest area.
- If judges determine no entry meets standards in a given category, no award will be given.
- Categories in which there are fewer than three entries may be merged with a similar category for judging. For example, if there are only two entries in the Politics-Non-daily category, those entries will be judged with entries in the Politics-Daily category.
- Contest administrators Sonny Albarado and Sarah DeClerk via email: ARKSPJcontest@gmail.com
For details on entry rules and requirements please visit https://arkansasspj.org/diamond-journalism-awards/.